Anxiety is a natural response when facing a stressful situation. But when it is constant & interferes with daily life it is a disorder. Anxiety disorders are treatable. Efficacy and duration of treatment vary.
Symptoms — test
Since many anxious patients have more than one anxiety disorder and may also suffer from depression, substance abuse, or other co-existing conditions, treatment is highly individualized.
- Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD):- pervasive worry & fear, nervousness & tension.
- Panic disorder:– panic attacks in episodes, fear of another panic attack. Develops abruptly, peaks within 10 mins, last for 20-30 mins.
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD):– unwanted thoughts/ repetitive ritualistic behavior that is impossible to control.
- Phobia:– exaggerated fear of specific object/ activity/ situation.
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD):– increased anxiety & emotional arousal, re-experiencing the traumatic event, avoidance behavior. Develops following a traumatic event
Typical symptoms of anxiety include:
- Mood – Feeling of apprehension
- Cognitive – Decreased concentration and short term memory.
- Behavioral – Restlessness, tremors, nervousness
- Sleep – Sleep problems
- Body – Racing of heart, dizziness, shortness of breath.
- A number of cognitive behavior therapies exist that address specific conditions
- Complementary and alternative practices (Stress and Relaxation Therapies, Meditation, Yoga)
If you are suffering from anxiety symptoms, don’t wait, contact us to discuss help options.
(return to the main page)